Missed Connection CompensationYour rights in case of missed connecting flight
Connecting flight ("Transit flight"), which is not direct flight and takes at least one crossing to the destination.
Often these are insignificant, but sometimes they can disrupt your plans.
The European Union Act 261 in such cases allows EUR 600 compensation.
Which airlines can claim compensation
According to EC 261 law, compensation coverage depends on the origin and flight of the airline. For details see the chart:
|Destination/Airline origin||Registered in EU||Registered outside EU|
|From EU to EU||Comepnsatable||Comepnsatable|
|From EU to outside EU||Comepnsatable||Comepnsatable|
|From outside EU to EU||Comepnsatable||Not Comepnsatable|
|From outside of EU to outside of EU||Not Comepnsatable||Not Comepnsatable|
In what case are you compensated?
According to EC 261 law, due to missed transit flight, compensation is given if:
– Transition to the transit flight is delayed due to delay or cancelation of flight;
– If your two connecting flights were purchased within one ticket;
– Flight was from or to the territory of the European Union;
– The problem that caused your delay is incompetence of the airline;
– If the problem is not caused by natural condition, weather, political situation or terrorist act;
– You did not miss the connecting flight because of your personal reasons – for example the delay in registering at the airport;
– If such an incident occurred during the last three years;
– Even if the airline has provided you with replacement flight.
How much compensation should you get for flight delay?
According to EC 261 of the EU Act, if the airline’s delay exceeds 3 hours, you are entitled to a financial compensation.
Accordingly, if you skip a transit flight, the flight offered by the airline leads you only 3 hours late, you will not get compensation.
The amount of compensation you receive depends on the duration of the delay and the flight distance. For details see the chart:
|Distance/Delay||Less than 3 hours||3-4 hours||More than 4 hours||Cancelled Flight|
|Less than 1500 km||–||EUR 250||EUR E250||EUR 250|
|More than 1500 km inside EU||–||EUR 400||EUR 400||EUR 400|
|1500-3500 km ourside EU||–||EUR 400||EUR 400||EUR 400|
|More than 3500 km outside EU||–||EUR 300||EUR 600||EUR 600|
If you already missed the flight, immediately take these steps:
– Keep the ticket and travel document(passport);
– Find and explain your problem to the airline representative;
– Request an alternative flight ticket;
– Request from the airline to provide food;
– Request an accomodation(hotel room) from the airline.
Compensation for business travelers and public officials
Even if the flight was delayed during the business visit and the ticket was purchased by your employer, you have the right to receive compensation as a victim passenger and not a ticket buyer.
Provision of food, communication facilities and accommodation
The EC 261 law imposes obligation to airline. You as a delayed flight passenger, carrier must provide you with meals and refreshments during the delay as well as access to communications. You also have the right to request international call, send mail or fax and stay in hotel.
During the delayed flight, you have the option of a different flight, you have the right to request an alternative flight operator to purchase an alternative ticket. This is also possible even if the new flight class exceeds the ticket class you purchased on the delayed flight.
Cash compensation or voucher
When your flight is delayed, your airline may offer you compensation in the form of flight vouchers. But be careful – in accordance with the legislation, with the passenger voucher you refuse to accept financial compensation in the future.