Overbooked Flight CompensationCompensation For Overbooked Flight
The “overbooked” flight is called a flight where more tickets are sold than real places are in the plane.
In this case you may face the problem – you have a ticket, but your place is already taken. EU legislation EC 261, provides for up to 600 compensation for such cases.
In what case are you compensated?
According to EC 261 law, due to such a flight, you qualify for compensation if:
- The flight is carried out inside EU territory;
- You have not received a travel voucher or extra compensation from the airline;
- The denieal to sit down was not due to your reasons, for example by arriving late or not having a passport;
- If such an incident occurred during the last 3 years.
Which flights are covered?
In the case of international flights carried out from the US, the amount of compensation may reach USD 1350.
According to EC 261 law applicable to the European Union, compensation depends on the origin and flight of the airline. For details see the chart:
|Destination/Airline origin||Registered in EU||Registered outside EU|
|From EU to EU||Compensatable||Compensatable|
|From EU to outside EU||Compensatable||Compensatable|
|From outside EU to EU||Compensatable||Not Compensatable|
|From outside EU to outside EU||Not Compensatable||Not Compensatable|
In the United States, the amount of compensation depends on the two factors – the destinations and the direction of flight. For details see the chart:
|Destination/Delay||0-1 hours||1-2 hours||2-4 hours||4+ hours|
|Domestic||–||200% of the cost of oneway ticket – no more than 675 USD||400% of the cost of oneway ticket – no more than 1350 USD||400% of the cost of oneway ticket – no more than 1350 USD|
|International||–||200% of the cost of oneway ticket – no more than 675 USD||200% of the cost of oneway ticket – no more than 675 USD||400% of the cost of oneway ticket – no more than 1350 USD|
In case of the EU, it depends on two factors – flight distance and flight boundaries. See the chart:
|Less than 1500 km (all flights)||EUR 250|
|More than 1500 km (Domestic flights)||EUR 400|
|1500-3500 km (International flights||EUR 400|
|More than 3500 km (International flight)||EUR 600|
What to do in that case
- Do not give up your place in exchange for voucher or other things;
- Keep boarding pass and passport;
- Find out the reasons for refusal;
- Request an alternative ticket;
- Request compensation in cash on place;
- Ask whether the airline will cover your food and hotel expenses.